Rashid is a Partner in the Corporate and Arbitration department at Eldwick Law, with a focus on CIS related matters. He is personable and has the ear of clients and his peers.
As the former co-managing partner of Central Asia’s most well-renowned regional firm, Rashid has experience in a wide range of legal sectors including (but not limited to) banking and corporate finance; oil and gas; pharmaceuticals; retail and consumer markets; metals and mining; aviation; and electronics. He has acted for state and private entities, including corporates and private individuals, such as shareholders and the top brass of multinational corporations.
Owing to his position as the ‘Head of Legal Practice in Kazakhstan and Central Asia’ for two of the Big Four accounting firms, Rashid’s practice has broadened into the international market, particularly Turkey and the Middle East. Immediately prior to joining Eldwick Law, Rashid was a Partner in the Corporate team at a US based firm, where he acted in various transactional matters.
As the head of the CIS team at Eldwick Law, Rashid’s current focus is on international disputes, primarily commercial and investment arbitration; civil fraud and asset tracing; and High Court disputes which arise out of energy rich regions where he has extensive experience and contacts. Rashid’s practice overlaps with Eldwick’s own expertise in commercial disputes, including litigation in the Chancery Division of the High Court and international arbitration centres in London.
Over the course of his career, Rashid has presented at over 300 conferences and seminars, and is widely recognised as a go-to lawyer for international disputes arising out of energy rich markets. He has served a diverse and interesting group of clients, including large corporate entities, international financial institutions, ultra-high net worth individuals, as well as providing legal counsel to government and state-owned enterprises. Examples of some of Rashid’s cases are listed below:
- Acting for a company in its shareholder dispute in the United Kingdom and the United States
- Acting for global cement producer in its investment dispute in Kazakhstan
- Acting for private Kazakh oil producer in its dispute with an international bank
- Acting for Kazakh state-owned company in its dispute with international energy company
- Acting for international oil company in its dispute with regards to energy infrastructure in Kazakhstan
- Acting for bondholders of defaulted international oil company
- Acting for large European manufacturer of equipment in relation to its dispute with the counter-party from the Central Asia
Associations and Credentials
- 2023 Legal 500 UK ranked Rashid in Equity Capital Markets: Small-Mid Cap and Oil and Gas
- Chairman of British-Kazakh Law Association
- Member of Legal Committee of British-Kazakh Society
- Member of Supervisory Board of KazBar
- Member of Mentorship Programme of KIMEP Law School, Kazakhstan
- BPP University Law School (Legal Practice Course)
- BPP University Law School (Postgraduate Diploma)
- University of Dundee (LLM in Petroleum Law and Policy)
- KAZGUU University (Diploma in Law)
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales: 2006
- Admitted in Kazakhstan: 1998
LinkedIn: Rashid Gaissin